Monday, July 18, 2011

Update of the South Side



Here is the south end of the property on day one of the move seven years ago. Yes, feel free to say the house closely resembles an army barracks.

First thing, I took some flour and made an outline of this bed, making it deep and with scallops. My daughter the Empress then dug it out and chopped up the rough soil.

She was also the champ who, until the move, stored umpteen plants and shrubs I wanted to keep from the old garden; we were so tidy about it you wouldn't know we had pillaged.



The next year showed a small improvement; no overall plan--just creating day by day. I had lugged the old pseudo brick fountain-turned-planter around with me from house to house and it settled nicely into the corner.
Keep an eye on that hosta in the lower left corner. Man oh man, did that little puppy have a growth spurt.



See what I mean?





This is the usual sight in the spring, once the snow melts. Seasoned gardeners know that underneath that debris are sleeping sprouts that will soon come looking for the sun.
It's best not to go mucking around the beds just then because you might lose or displace the little guys, possible permanently.
And okay I confess, I scrabbled out there in the mud during our long, long rain spell this spring and it turned out very well. The ground was so pliable it was a pleasure to weed and tidy up although I'm still working the garden out of my fingernails. The plants didn't seem to suffer from my stomping around. Lucky is what I was.



The pond-turned-planter is gone now and the small plants have turned into extra large and the results are pleasing.



The right hand corner needs work now. That's next on my list, the minute the temperature goes down from its current plus 38C.

No comments: