Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Market Day



We took a family trip to the Kitchener Saturday market and watched Aw, who is five foot nothing, dart through crowds and under elbows to find the best and freshest of everything.

Her sister-in law Lorrie is no slouch herself but Aw has that Bangkok edge.

Satisfied we had accomplished our mission we headed down the street to the big Chines grocery. Forget sterile, neatly polished and waxed supermarket fruit and veggies and think more basic.

There are Thai markets in town but Aw finds most of what she wants here and in a nearby Vietnamese grocery store. I'm not sure why this is and when her English gets to the next level, I'll ask.

This market is like stepping into another world--different aromas, multi languages and great prices on live crabs and frozen baby scallops and spices. You can find most of these things at the big supermarkets but the atmosphere will never be the same.



I'll admit some of the displays didn't entice me to buy.



Steve seems to agree with me on this.



I was surprised to find English on many of the items so you have a better chance of buying the right thing.



No comments: