Thursday, July 28, 2011

House Guest



Eli is visiting while his family is away for the week.



I figured it would be smooth sailing until I checked over the manifesto regarding his care.

Right off the top--forget Peter Rabbit--lettuce can give them the runs. Dear-god-please-not-on-my-watch.
They like parsley and carrots, a scoop of pellets each day and a bit of hay. I haven't noticed any wild or even moderate enthusiasm for the latter but we'll see.

Keep the water bottle filled but he really prefers his water from his food, so you make sure you run it under the tap before he gets it.

A closer look at the section on FOOD--how much and what and when. I had been giving him both parsley and carrots and it's supposed to be either/or. What if he waddles when his family returns?

Then there's COMFORT. Stroke him from nose to back. okay, so far so good and he likes it.

Apparently rabbits will chew any electric cords in their path so he isn't coming out of his jail call for the week and he's a bit cramped.
He has a lovely big cage at home but it was too difficult to bring that here in a small car.

Next, HOW TO PICK UP A RABBIT.Well, I would except for the intimidating last sentence: "they have a scramble instinct and he may try to jump out of your arms."
Listen I'm not as agile as I once was and I've got those electrical cords to think about. I like reading at night and the flashlight won't do.



I think we're doing fine. I talk and he pretty well has to listen.

Your peeps will come get you soon sweet guy.

In the meantime it's you and Gramma.

And no scrambling.

No comments: