Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Peach Tree Saga



Last year the peach tree came to live at the back of the garden and the squirrels loved the convenience of sitting on the fence and casually reaching over to nibble the fruit.

Next time anyone strong enough to use a shovel dropped by the tree was moved closer to the house, next to the rose bushes.



So far so good, win or lose a couple. Then, I bought some netting to give the two remaining peaches a chance to grow to full term.



I've never bought netting before and I envisioned stuff that resembled fish nets, suitable for catching smaller fish. All I could find is this and I don't think it's the best kind to get--As you shake it open it floats up into the air in slow motion and wherever it chooses to land is pretty well it.



On what turned out to be my first and last try, everything nearby was covered but the two peaches stood proudly untouched and I sported the results of vengeful rose thorns.

Oh well. This will provide more of a challenge to the squirrels and next year, another kind of netting. That's assuming I can ever remove this one without suffering serious lacerations and derision from the squirrels.

No comments: