Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Firsts

The prolonged rains set the gardens back and the firsts are just now showing their faces.

The first of the tomatoes.





They probably have a lovely Latin name but to me they are the golden berries. They start early and last until first frost; biting into one is a sweet, magical experience.



The start of many kinds of daisies



My advice to people who need plants and have no love for gardens: always say "yes" if offered lilies.Plant them far apart from one another and soon you will have a full-to-the-brim garden. See how easy that was?



A word about this kind of lily. if you live in Ontario it should be the provincial flower.
Although--when my son married his prairie maiden, she carried Prairie Lilies, and guess what? The same flower.
Mine is actually a double and I love it. I call it Miss Lorrie after my sweet daughter-in law.

Don't consider this a whine or anything but--a fifteen minute rain shower would be welcome. My rain barrels are almost dry.

No comments: