Thursday, July 7, 2011

My Date With The Junk Yard



I found this metal arch in a yard full of rusting junk, all deliciously for sale. The place was a panacea of found art, if you had the patience to look and stepped carefully. The most difficult part was finding the yard owner who preferred to hide out in his house with his cats and didn't always reply to desperate pounding on the door.

My faithful '97 Honda CRV always accommodated any relic I might find on my travels.

By the time I hauled it home I'd figured out where it should go and the end of the new deck looked like a winner. #3 son did his magic and presto, an archway was born.

It looked pretty silly for the first year, skinny and awkward, until the honeysuckle vine came upon it just about the time it was running out of something to cling to and eventually a china berry vine joined the fun at the other end.

By the end of year two it all began to pull together



Now, year three, it's at its peak when the honeysuckle is in full bloom and later the China Berries will take over with their porcelain-like white berries with a tinge of purple.




Sadly, the junk man retired and no one took his place. It's still a mystery to me where all the junk disappeared to from his yard.

Perhaps he did me a favor--mine is a small garden and I am running out of space to add anything. The only way to go now is up and I'm thinking about that.

No comments: