Saturday, July 30, 2011

My Garden Drought Survivors



Funny thing about planting sunflower seeds; drop them directly into the soil and I swear the earth opens up and swallows them whole.
Except for this big soldier, my one survivor.



These good sports are doing pretty well although they are on the runty side. They endure on a smattering of rain and any bit of hand watering that comes their way.





Ornamental grasses stand proud no matter what and their elegance and strength pull the entire garden together. I think they have a camel-like method of storing water.

Photobucket

I tried planting tomatoes amongst the regular flowers and they didn't do at all well. A big fat zero. Did they not like their companions or was it the parched soil? The reflection of the rose in the mirror helps this one along in the picture.

I dug out one skimpy tomato plant yesterday and re-potted it in its own container; let's hope if it was in time.





This is my one happy tomato plant in the centre bed and it represents what keeps gardeners at it year after year. You learn from your mistakes and carry on.

Every year, new mistakes and new discoveries. It keeps you both humble and grateful.

No comments: