Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Seven Year Itch



This was the small wasteland I moved into seven years ago this month. It was perfect. The previous owners considered lawn-cutting to be serious gardening so I had a blank palette to play with, and I did.



The pond was an early addition. We placed it close to the deck so that the fish could be admired from there. Now that I know better, the placement was correct but it would take a healthy forty-five pound Koi to be seen from a sitting position on the deck.



Ornamental grasses went in first to provide a solid base.
I also scouted the area construction sites for rocks and slowly hauled away a sizeable amount.
The down side is that the fingers and wrists declare a national holiday for a while until the muscles heal. No matter--we're getting a garden here.



And here we are today. My dreams come in small bursts. Never an entire plan to work from. Just pick away at one end, then tug away somewhere else and eventually it pulls together into a pleasant setting.

About that seven-year itch. I find myself snooping around to see if there's another small plot somewhere that might benefit from my poking and pulling.

I've probably got one more move in me.

1 comment:

~~Melissa said...

Have I got a town for you!