Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What's With the Roses Aiming Sideways?



If my rose canes continue to inch sideways instead of straight up I may be inspired to write "The Mystery of the Deadly Wandering Tendrils." Or--- I might just tie up the canes and get on with life.

I don't know whether it was the new brick carpet installed above their roots but now they really like to spread out at a ninety-degree angle and that isn't what I had in mind.

They have such pleasant surroundings with the brick I thought they'd continue heading up the arch as usual and I'd just clip the blooms at each end.

Their personal preference is to bloom at the very top of the arch and clipping them would require a six-foot step ladder and determination.


Making the correction takes a little planning and preparation.
It's always loads of fun wrestling them into an upright position and maneuvering twist ties around the thorns while hampered by critically needed garden gloves .

Photobucket
Voila. They are having a blooming sabbatical right now but there will be more color shortly.


Look at that--four perfect roses peeking out from those crazy branches. And at pick-able level too.

They make it all worth while.

2 comments:

MsGraysea said...

Wow, Pat, those are very healthy looking canes, even if they are wayward.....they must feel the grass is always greener....don't they know we should all bloom where we are??
From the area of earthquakes and now hurricanes...I send you a fond hello!

J.P. said...

And a fond hello back.
I'm just about to go out and see if there's damage from last night's wild storm.
Funnel clouds around us, I hear, but I haven't heard of any direct hits in this area.
I'm sure the mighty rose canes came through fine.