Monday, August 22, 2011

My Vine Must Be On Steroids


This is my china berry vine today. Soon the berries will turn porcelain white with a mystical purple aura.

Just don't get the idea this is a sweet, delicate little vine. No indeed.

I brought it home as an impulse buy from a nursery three years ago and read up on it.

Words like "vociferous grower" and "hard-to-manage" popped up time and again.
I figured a spoil-sport wrote that because my sweet vine grew in a stately, almost languid manner.

Until this year.

This year despite a drought that sent plants into early pack- it- in for the season mode, my vine decided to try for the marathon; any marathon as long as it meant breaking world records.



My plan was was that the honeysuckle would grow at one end with its blooming time earlier in the summer and when it faded the china berry would take over at the other end.
And take over it did. This year my once- polite vine sprinted over the archway, shimmied down a trellis and across a window.



I'm thinking of alerting the next door neighbors that it's heading their way.

I'll let it have its fun for now and next spring, we'll see if the honeysuckle is just as tough. They can duke it out.

This is why gardeners never have the last word.

No comments: