Monday, August 8, 2011

A Surprisingly Wrenching Car Swap



I've always been attracted to cars that vaguely resemble army tanks and my Honda CRV fitted the criteria. It was the first car I bought on my own after Hal died, and it had one previous owner, a Mennonite who never engaged in any frivolous acts, like speeding or running a red light.

When the kids were young we bought some kind of a second-hand vehicle that a friend said resembled a World War Two ambulance (are you seeing a parallel here?) and I kind of think it did. It had four cylinders and we used it to haul a nineteen- foot house trailer from Ontario to B.C. and back without a falter. Later we headed for the east coast and around Lake Ontario with great results.We called it the Iron Elephant, a fitting name.

Now I always believed the CRV and I would be ready for the bone yard at the same time but my timing was out and although it was still going strong, it was old in car years.
I'm old in human years but the family genes are holding me together just fine and I'm still driving.

It was time to upgrade.

It was surprisingly heart-wrenching to part with old faithful the other day and I was on the mopey side getting used to the more compact and not- meant- for- hauling anything Hundai Elantra.

I'm slowly getting used to this newer car and it's non-tank appearance and I'm sure we'll be friends. Keyless entry is sacks of fun and in the winter the seats can be electrically warmed. How luxurious is that?



Most of the time I am grateful I am still mobile because once the car goes, the walls close in.

Just saying.

No comments: