Monday, August 29, 2011

My Best Unplanned Crop





See that? It's horseradish and it flourishes with no effort on my part. I first planted a root in my last garden two miles away and the location was perfect--close to the back door and blocked in by the pool. By sheer luck and ignorance it was contained and couldn't possibly wander off.

After I moved on to this new place, I tucked a nice root in the back corner of the garden but--but--there should have been a steel barrier installed underground at least seventy feet deep, to keep it in place.

Photobucket

I can't live without a grand supply of home-made horseradish sauce it but I wasn't counting on the huge leaves and god-knows-what's growing-underground taking over the entire garden and it probably has its sights on every other garden in town.

The pungent aroma and taste tends to thoroughly clean out your sinuses, let alone anything else above the eyebrows not thoroughly fastened in place, but it's worth it.

If only it would stay put.

If I ever move again, I'll plant it in a steel drum; with luck and effort on the part of the drum, it will be contained.

But, ah, the sauce.





No comments: