Sunday, August 7, 2011

Potato Crop



This is the second year I've grown potatoes in a barrel and it's a good method when space is at a premium.

When the leaves start to wither it's time to harvest and that part is simple enough--lay out a tarp and dump into it the barrel contents.






I'm not done foraging through yet but this is the crop so far.
I cooked some last night in a skillet in a puddle of chicken broth and when the liquid was about gone, I added a dollop of butter, salt and pepper.
Yum.

The other barrel is not going to be harvested for a while and we'll see if the potatoes get any larger.
The soil is that light-as-air stuff that doesn't qualify as real dirt and I'm thinking that next year I'll use the real stuff.

Nothing will be wasted; the stalks go into the compost and the pseudo- dirt goes into the raised beds.

And there's always next year.

No comments: