Wednesday, November 2, 2011

be Careful What You Wish For


I found these geraniums on my front porch the other day and I'm happy to have them.

Lately I've mentioned to a lot of people that it's such a waste to toss geraniums at the end of the season when they can be stored and re-planted in the spring.

I'd rather not mention those senior moments (come to think of it I've had them most of my life) but I have no idea where these came from.

I'm glad someone was listening but who do I thank?

Over the years I've kept to the same quick-and-dirty storage method and it works quite well; brush away as much dirt as I can, then stuff the plants into a plastic bag and store them in an a cool, dark place.
Cool is hard to provide. My garage isn't insulated and things freeze into Popsicles out there so that leaves the basement.

I have an empty plastic bin ( a miracle in itself but I'm really trying to thin out) and they are now stashed in the bin  at floor level behind the box of birthday decorations..

In the spring when I'm just itching for the snow to melt, I'll retrieve them.
I  pull off the dried leaves, make sure the stalks has some green in them and pot in  lightweight soil.

Finding a sunny window ledge is always a difficult process  and  the best window is beside my desk.
By the time all the pots are strategically placed, I have a six inch square all to myself to pay bills and do things like, you know--carry on with life.

But first, there is a pesky winter to get through. and someone to thank, but who?





 

No comments: