Monday, October 31, 2011

Stained Glass Reincarnation


This is one of the stained glass windows I bought at an auction around thirty years ago and I think I paid $11 for each half. At the time I didn't realize they were originally one double-hung window, probably from a farm house. The center panel was plain glass with blue and red inserts on the sides.

The picture above shows  the bottom section missing a center and side panel and I decided that was a good time to refresh the paint.

 

Here's the top, relatively unscathed. Over the years I've replaced some of the stained panels as well as the center panel that started out as clear glass.
I shudder to think what I've spent on these simple windows over the years.

 

During an earlier incarnation I had a frame made to hang them on the deck, with hooks holding the top and bottom. and the top window shows here. Any strong wind had them waving back and forth violently so I removed the bottom part while I reconsidered.


I retired the top part (probably another broken pane) and the  bottom panel tried life outdoors. The wind was still a problem so this one went into the basement. I didn't have any space to hang them indoors, separately or together.

 


Then came the eureka moment when I turned  part of the family room into a home theater; a rather grand name for a nice little nook to separate the viewing area from the rest of the room.

(I had a better picture but I haven't figured out the new blogger codes for switching pictures around.)

The windows hide the telly and they look perfect. The top center panel is still frosted glass and the lower window now sports a mirrored center panel.

Barring a nasty tornado or another move, chances are this vignette will remain unscathed for a long time.

No comments: