Monday, October 3, 2011

Potato Harvest


 
This is my second barrel; I harvested the first one a few weeks ago and delayed with  this one  in hopes the potatoes would grow larger. That hope didn't pan out but they are lovely little things.


They will be divine steamed a little and finished off in the skillet with butter and seasonings.

I'm just finding my way planting seed potatoes in barrels; next year I'll experiment and add two or three layers.You plant the first sprouts near the bottom and cover them with earth and as they grow, you continue to add more earth. That's when I'll add more sprouts, during the topping-up process.

The garden space is too small to accommodate planting them in the beds.

The great thing about gardening is you are learning forever; it's very much like experimenting in the kitchen with an often-cooked dish, finding ways to to add variety.

Next  year.....

1 comment:

CityGirlGardener said...

Hey looking for sympathy about potatoes. I planted sweet potatoe slips, in Texas, for the first time. I have a garden in my City backyard. I planted them in my new raised garden that my husband painstakingly built for me last year in the fall(he's learning to be a handy man (from New York City)).

Inspite of the drought, the vines from the bed took over. It looked like a beautiful hugh potted plant. Everyone marvel at it and said "that bin has to be full of potatoes". By now you know where I'm going with this. We harvest the potatoes last weekend. Maybe two (2), I said 2, potatoes. Apparently all the energy went to the leaves. I was devastated. I haven't quite figured out the learning experience, but I have already moved on (smile).