Monday, October 10, 2011

Horseradish Season



Horseradish can be harvested anytime in the fall before freeze-up but now is the time at my place.
The prolific roots have invaded throughout the  garden and there's a certain satisfaction in beating them back if only for a while.

My method is to position the shovel just so, then jump up and down on it, getting it as deep as I can. The tip of the shovel will cut into the root system and sever a big piece for me to dig out.

There are more leaves than roots but I prevail with the mental picture of my loved ones eagerly awaiting the moment they willingly char their sinus cavities with this stuff .



Here are the roots when freshly captured. With better muscle strength I could have dug deeper to get at the fatter roots, but these will do.


Now they're ready to come inside for a scrubbing in the sink.

After that I use my sharpest knife to chop them up into small cubes, toss a handful into the Cuisinart, add white vinegar, mayo and a touch of cream and turn it on.
By this time the fumes are enough to seriously consider either abandoning the project or investing in a gas mask.

After a thorough whizzing and one or two dashes outside to take in fresh untainted air, it's still not the consistency I want so I move the mixture into the blender, adjust the liquids and whizz again.

Eventually it will be smooth and creamy and ready for pouring into sterilized jars.


Ta da.

A friend told me that as a child she watched her parents prepare the sauce each year and they used a food grinder. I'm tempted to give that a try next time and then finish off in the blender.

Next time I'm going to solicit the help of the most proudly muscled family member to dig deeper so I can increase the output.

And I will look into buying a gas mask.

No comments: