Thursday, October 6, 2011

Defrost Time

Okay, I confess the freezer hadn't been cleaned out for four years.
It took that long to want to clean it out.

Large chunks of ice rimmed the interior and that didn't seem to fit into any energy-saving category, so they had to go.

I dredged up from my memory bank just how I went about cleaning up last time and I remembered using the hair dryer to defrost; turned  on and left  dangling closed inside, once all the food items were pried out.
The hair dryer only took a few minutes and then I got busy with a paint scraper and carefully chipped at the slabs of ice that fell quickly to the bottom.


Here's the debris at this point. A few food stains and a lot of scattered blueberries but it didn't take long to clean it up. It would have taken longer if I had been a bit taller but my reach wasn't that good.
In fact, you know those ducks you see in the pond? The  ones that spot a goody at the bottom and they bob down with their rumps and birdie legs sticking up in the air?

Well, I did bear a fair resemblance..


Here we are with a carefully edited bunch of stuff returned to the freezer, like with like, orderly and organized.
And a lot fewer blueberries.


The stuff in the  basket is mostly hot dog and hamburger buns; I'm hoping to foist them on my daughter-in-law with the three teen-agers next time she drops by.

In case you wonder, the freezer is draped with a skirt because I keep it in the family room, to save heading down the basement everytime I need a package of peas.

Now that I know how relatively painless it was, I may not wait so long for the next time.

Unless I shrink some more.

No comments: