Saturday, March 17, 2012

Petunia Time

A few seasons ago I carefully isolated the various colors of petunias before I harvested their seeds.  Mother Nature had the last laugh since most plants we buy these days are hybrids and after a couple of seasons they will generally all be one color, no matter what. In my case, they were mostly pale purple.

I still harvest seeds in the fall and supplement with a few blooms from the nursery and it works well. I an content with my thrifty nature and the flowers will bloom.

In front of the planter boxes above is a flour shaker containing a mixture of horticultural sand and  petunia seeds. The sand helps space out the seeds as I shake them into the planting cells.

Window space is at a premium now but all the little guys have some sun every day and it won't be long before they beat their little chests and announce they're ready for outdoor living.

No comments: