Monday, April 11, 2005

Paradise In The Making

I'm sure you look at these photos and you wonder, “Is this part of a an army barracks? And what’s with the narrow deck?”

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Well, I’m glad you asked. This is a blank canvas that I’m preparing to turn it into a tiny, beautiful masterpiece.

It's my intention to turn this little patch of heaven into an attractive back yard using a minimum of cash outlay and maximum labor from any obliging children who drop by.

I moved into this place six months ago, leaving behind tall trees,lily pond, beautiful mature plants and a gorgeous pool. The other house welcomed a full complement of mourning doves, cardinals, naughty blue jays and various orioles, robins, not to mention skunks and squirrels.

Now I live in a temporarily vast wasteland with few birds and many rabbits. It was hard to leave the other house but it was time for me to downsize.

I love a challenge and this place offers many of them. Off the kitchen is this narrow wood deck and it faces the deck and kitchen door of the house next door. See? This is a challenge.Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I am determined to come up with a clever, attractive way for us to come out of our respective kitchens with complete privacy. I just want to walk out and not see another face from across the way and I’m sure they feel the same.

Incidentally, the top picture was taken before I moved in and that giant saucer is gone.

My little bird feeder hanging from the eaves is slowly attracting sparrows and grackles and eventually there will be more feeders and I will plant bird and butterfly -attracting bushes.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Stay tuned.

4 comments:

Steven said...

I'm so onto your twisted little plot. You know I'm coming back in May and you know that as a carpenter I can't help but think about possible renovation ideas for your deck. But if you think I'm going to waste one precious second here in Thailand thinking about your place, you have another thing coming! (Give me those deck dimensions. I'll see what I can do...) Stevie

Anonymous said...

Why Steve, how sweet of you.
It never occurred to me that my carpenter son might want to help but since you offered...
XX

bozoette said...

Gee, my backyard looks a lot like yours. Send me photos so I can copy off you -- better yet, come down and help! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Better wait to see if I can pull this off.
Otherwise pack up your hammer and shovel and come up here to offer muscle and advice.