Saturday, August 1, 2015

Big Changes



I’ve been absent while I dealt with shaking  up my life

For some time the plan was that I would  take over the main floor of son #3’s house;  he and his wife would make an apartment for themselves on the second floor and son #1  would take the existing apartment in the basement

We all get along extremely well and we tend to live like hermits with visiting privileges
All of this was based on son #3 building a bathroom on the top floor and then we’s all be self-sufficient

Well, son #3 is a carpenter/contractor and he was really, really busy with his work so the extra bathroom didn’t materialize and I returned to planning the next phase of my life.

I had been living in a 900 square foot semi-detached house. This was a deliberate plan—down-sizing  from my four-bedroom and pool to this tiny place with a bare bones yard for me to turn into a garden.

Next thing I knew, ten years had gone by and the garden was getting beyond me



Still, that itch was there and I needed something to attack.

It finally happened on a bitterly cold Ontario winter day when I looked out the frosted front window  in time to watch a car slide sideways down the narrow road.
The driver didn’t look particularly alarmed so I went back to thinking about me and I realised I related to that sliding car

  You can’t get too hyperactive when hip replacement surgery is looming but something had to change,so I skipped  the notion of tackling a mountain range in Tibet while  battling hyperthermia and considered what might be a tad more realistic

It was time to consider apartment living and I’m not sure I’d ever even been in one

I put together a bucket list of what I wanted (lots of windows, a great view and an en suite).
Then I put the tiny house on the market and it sold in one day.

Clutching my bucket list I went apartment hunting and found a venerable old lady smack in the heart of the city 

It turns out to be the best thing I’ve done in years and there was no hyperthermia involved, 

No comments: