Saturday, August 15, 2015

Gardening Apartment Style


I'd  had apartment life under my belt for a year before I found myself seeking out gardening opportunities.

I yearned for things that were impossible to grow in a microscopically small balcony space, robust charmers like pumpkins, squash and cucumbers.
I pictured vines creeping their way to the balconies above and below me, and  that posed a delightful picture as I recalled the shriek from the balcony below when a dribble  from my watering can snaked over the side.

So. where to plant a veggie garden? My opportunistic mind immediately swung to #3 son, Steve

 He lives a five-minute drive away and up to a couple of months ago I’m not sure he was aware there was a garden at the back of his place.
He built a lovely deck and they used that, but it was best not to look at the tangled wasteland that branched out from there.

The previous owner had planted a big raspberry patch and we all were invited to pick our hearts out, and we did. It took a compass and safety clothing to find the way to the patch, but we managed.
It's possible I  taking dramatic license here but you get the point. It wasn't pretty.



 I made my move when the last of the snow was finally disappearing.
“Hey,” I said over Sunday morning breakfast, “ May I use a little of your back garden to plant some veggies?”

 And that’s how it started

Once the snow melted, I stood on the deck with Steve, surveying the back property. A couple of raised  beds would be lovely if he wouldn’t mind bashing some boards together.

Well, contractors don’t bash anything. They get out a level and string and everything is perfectly squared.

After he installed the raised beds, he thought about the  leftover paving bricks stashed under the deck and next thing you know, they were laid neatly around the newly organized raspberry beds.

When the first seedlings sprouted, the fun began.


Steve installed his tiny rose garden and so that they would look their best, he had the shed moved a tad forward and to the right. 


The potatoes (not shown) are a story in themselves. When I noticed that gleam in Steve's eye I wanted something to grow fast to pique his interest. I rummaged through the potato bin and found some with eyes ; I cut them in pieces and planted them the same day in one of the beds. To my amazement, since I didn't follow any rules, they all took and they are flourishing. He loves to watch them grow




This picture was taken early on and shows how neatly organized things were rapidly becoming. The raspberries were even manageable.

I am fully aware that by next year I may have to scout out someone else's garden since I think Steve will have plans for every inch of his land.

If I keep this up, I may get a whole new generation developing green thumbs. and I can have some of the harvest without the grunt labor

Just as long as I'm allowed to get my hands dirty.

This has possibilities.


No comments: