Thursday, August 6, 2015

Gardening in Eagle Territory


The first time I went apartment-hunting I took along two things: an  explicit bucket list and my real estate agent, who volunteered for the task.

I wanted to live in the heart of the city so that narrowed the field. Most apartments downtown are for people who live for their jobs and night life, so they need a bed and a closet.
I wanted space and a view.

News was out about a newly renovated building; each apartment had its own own laundry and there was lots of guest parking, so we tried that first.

We checked out a two-bedroom where the residents still lived before moving to a condo. My realtor bluntly asked, right in front of our rental guide, why they were moving and they rather bluntly explained; constant elevator breakdowns, old windows that fogged and dripped all winter and too-small  rooms so they kept tripping over one another

I was mortified that my friend would be so blunt—and really glad he was.

Next we tried an old building a few blocks away and it almost fitted my bucket list like a glove.
Corner suite, knock-out view, hardwood floors, good- sized rooms, windows that still don’t drip and so far the elevator has been faithful.

But there was a problem: my bucket list included a roomy balcony where I could have a small potted garden. This balcony weighed in at  7. x 11 ft. The door opened at one end where the plants would have to go and the best stretch of area is interrupted by the window air conditioner.
I envisioned  a small table and two chairs fitted around the a/c and good luck to the plants


The gorgeous view and hardwood floor had me hooked so I irrationally believed I was creative enough to make that balcony flourish with plants and people .




This was my first garden spot; veggies and flowers and my knee  co-mingled
a smattering of petunias for a start



and a small harvest



no more trumpet vine
honeysuckle and barbecue a thing of the past
 I loved those peonies


Keep in mind  moved in in June.  I thought I adapted rather well and there was time to work out a better plan for the next summer.




No comments: