Thursday, June 28, 2012

How To Use A Hot Day


I am lying on the porch swing, book and camera at hand, and this is my view.
On a hot day, this is the place to be, listening to the pond water gurgling and the birds flitting by to sample the sunflower seeds in the nearby feeders..
The memory floated by of  the days in Richmond Hill when the kids were tiny. No one had air conditioners--we bought what ever size wading pool we could afford and the kids ran in and out, wet feet marking up the floors but who cared-- the kids were happy and cooled off.
I wonder how many moms in suburbia even know what prickly heat rash is. We used to fluff corn starch on  the  red patches of skin and fan the babies, sponge them with tepid water, anything to help them forget the itch.

Now my babies have grown up babies of their own, all of them with air conditioning.

I hope they are cool in every sense of the word.

So now I'll concentrate on the gurgling water and the munching birds.

No comments: