Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Wins and Losses

I'm coming to grips with the sun's ability to bake and burn its way through my attempt at rigging sun shades.



I carefully set up what I considered to be a protected area for the orchids and it would have been kinder to toss them into a den of starving lions. The sun snickered at my feeble attempt to keep them shaded and burned them to a crisp.

They had been doing so well inside under lights until I read that they like to be outdoors in the summer, in a shady spot where they catch the breeze.

A couple of them are fighting back safe indoors, and if they could speak, I would be in bigger trouble.



On the win side, the water lily I planted last year is perky.


Then there's the Tamarack tree that is supposed to love a boggy venue and boy did I have the boggy venue for it. The finicky thing lifted its skirts up high and said, "Give me dry land or I'm outa here." This spring I moved it to higher ground and it has been leaping up into serious contention for tree category.


Win some, lose some. That's a gardener's life.

2 comments:

Chitweed said...

Oh, the poor orchids...just keep in mind you were trying to make them even happier.
Shucks, don't you hate when that happens? Try to give plants a shot in the arm for health, and it ends up being the Eboli Virus!
On the flip side, your water lily does look very happy, and the Tamarak is liking the new spot, so take heart in the good stuff!

J.P. said...

Chitweed:
Thanks for the kind words.
I'll keep trying until I get it right.