Monday, July 24, 2006

My Mini Harvest

That wasn't just rain pounding down yesteday; it would be absolutely fair to compare it to a monsoon, although I've never actually lived any place where monsoons happen. Still, I'm sure that's what we had.

My back yard reverted to its swamp beginnings and I could have held a small regatta there.

The melon is coming along nicely and I hope it has plans for more.



The zucchini is doing well also but then we know they plan to rule the world. Slice it into hot olive oil, cook it gently, add lots of mozzarella and you have a winner. A fat winner.



What is it about sunflowers? I tenderly plant the seeds and absolutely nothing happens, they simply sink without a trace. But toss some in the bird feeder and voila---the birds fling them down and they take root wherever they fall. Case in point, this sturdy one growing from between the rocks by the pond.

The water is roiled up after the monsoon and the fish are burrowed way down below, if they're smart. Either that or they took to their life jackets.

No comments: