Friday, July 13, 2012

Gardens Tours


Garden  tour season is heaven for us junkies.
For one afternoon, instead of peeking over hedges or standing around awkwardly pretending to look for an address, we are invited to soak it all in,  picking up amazing ideas for our own little beauty spots.
This gardener remembered the cardinal rule--plant three of the same thing at a time; the clematis looks lush 
If I could it to do over again, I'd hock the silverware and plant a cedar hedge. Keep it tidy and encourage it to grow towards the sky and you have the most breathtaking  background for your garden

This garden has an English look--both tamed and bordering on blowzy. Perfect.

I have no desire to  own a gazebo but I love them in other people's gardens. Seriously, do you see yourself sitting out there? I expect the town marching band to swing in and present a concert.
Of course  you can always stage  a garden wedding and  fill the space with  a string quartet.  Just saying.

This garden was charming and I was captivated by the clever way they increased the height of the fence.
I  appreciate the generosity of the owners. Most of all I appreciate the amount of weeding they have to do to prepare for the tour. One homeowner told me her husband was up the minute the sun rose and weeded for hours every day so that the garden would be perfect.

If it rains, you have to worry about people churning the plot into a mud pit or worse still, hardly anyone shows up.

Gallant people, all of them.

No comments: