Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The New Reality



Look at this--I live in the boondocks and  yet my windows are barred.

Mine came about  because my next door neighbor  spotted two men in my yard at 2 AM. The men ran off before the police arrived.

At first I wasn't alarmed; I had a mental picture of anyone  navigating that maize of raised beds and garden ornaments in the dark and  marveled that they survived..

So now I have barred windows and yeah, I do feel safer. I even had a motion sensor light installed  and when it flashes on, I can't resist getting out of bed to  see who is visiting . So far: raccoons, skunks , possums and rabbits but no two-legged intruders.

It's a different world now; I guess my generation was the last to  to let the kids roam freely all day and  now people have to make play dates for their kids. Good lord, if I'd had to do that with my six kids I would have been either phoning, marking the "play chart" or driving the kids to their dates.
No wonder computer games are so popular--it's the substitute for playmates.

I wish I hadn't taken a picture of the bars--now I have to clean the window.




No comments: