Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Oh Lord--Mother's Day Is Coming



Sorry to be a spoil-sport but really--mother's day?

Seems to me there's a guilt-driven message in there. When the kids were small we ignored mothers day and fathers day and any other day that seemed silly.

I'm probably the luckiest mother ever because mother's day comes for me all through the year.

For instance:
Every Sunday barring ten -foot snow drifts, my son and his wife take me to breakfast and we go at the time I like--nine o'clock. My daughter-in law loves to sleep in but she always comes and I love her for it.

Then, every Saturday I cook dinner and as many as are in the mood will come over. No pressure. We eat, laugh and talk. We might be silly or one of us confides serious issues and it remains in the room, with a lot of love surrounding the anxious soul.

Sometimes I am given a bouquet of flowers for no reason, or a cheerful face and strong arms arrive to fix the current household ailment.

Because I am a creative soul there's always a tree to be moved to a better spot or a wall color needs changing by that much and one of them is there to cheerfully provide the muscle.

It's not all one way. I am there to lend an ear and am respectfully careful not to pass on information.
sometimes I can do office work for one of them, or run errands or provide chicken soup for a bad cold.

The thing is, they allow me into their families all year round and I never feel redundant.

I'm a lucky and blessed lady.

No comments: