Friday, June 11, 2010

What's Wrong With This Picture?



The pond is burbling as it should,the aquatic plants are blooming nicely and the water lilies pop up every afternoon for a dazzling display.

Perfection, right? Well it would be if the twelve fish would report for roll call; They are either hiding out or just plain gone.

No, I don't think they provided protein for the neighborhood raccoons, no I don't. That's because I don't want to and besides, twelve would make a Guinness record for an all-in-one catch.

For the first few days they darted here and there, sampling the algae and generally testing out their new quarters. Then they disappeared.

Some new fish die; that's what they do. but all twelve?

A few days ago I spotted a flash of gold as one darted to the surface, then quickly disappeared under the plants.

Not a sign of one since.

I'll be patient a bit longer and assume they are noshing on all the goodies that ponds provide. Perhaps in a week or so, they'll stagger out weighing three times more than when they arrived here.

I'd really like some action soon, and to be on the safe side, raccoons are not welcome.

No comments: