Saturday, July 26, 2008

A blooming Berm





It all started when I was looking for places to store upturned chunks of sod.The less lawn the better is my motto. I love to let it rot for a season, then mash it up and voila--great soil.

I figured the middle of the back yard wasn't doing anything so it could contain the masses of sod and to make it more genteel, I'd call it a berm.

I had the "aha" moment when the pile got taller and taller and figured this was the moment to plant vine-type veggies and here we are today.

I did over- plant, I admit that. There were some rogues there to start and we've had enough rain to float the ark so I'm not sure how it will turn out but I love the look.

Hidden in that jungle are beans--they're climbing up the ladder, that is, when they're not beating their machetes to get through the vines.



Another winner this year was the many-holed pot that usually ends up empty, hidden away. This year I was in a mothers and chicks mode and the result is pleasurable.

No comments: