Sunday, October 14, 2007

I'm Back

And this is where you say, "Oh, have you been away?"
Thanks for asking--yes I have.

I was minding three grand kids while their parents took some needed R&R in Cuba.
Since the kids are aged 16, 13 and 11, my job was to keep them occupied,unaware of their while-the-cats-away power and get them to school on time.

The kids live a fraction the wrong side of the boundaries set by the school board, so no school bus for them. Instead they had me as chauffeur. First, the boys to the high school, then Elise to junior high or whatever it's called now.

I took my parental responsibilities over-the-top seriously for the first few days and figured the little nippers wouldn't get too creative if I kept them busy.

So, they did their laundry


And they kept the guinea pig's cages clean


I thought things were going swimmingly until I made the mistake of wandering past their rooms:




But then I was overcome with nostalgia, recalling the condition of my own children's' rooms and I felt warm and fuzzy and besides, nothing scary was crawling around in there.

They did get some time out for good behavior


And here's the best part: if I behaved like a model grandmother, Ben took Elise on at checkers, thus relieving me of the humiliation of another defeat.

At last count it was 19 games to 2 in her favor.
But listen, I'm a crackerjack at bridge. Honest.

No comments: