Monday, February 7, 2005

Shariyat

The fur ball appears to be nearing the end of her nine lives.

She huddles over the floor register and cries when the heat is off and she can’t jump up on the bed or the bathroom counter anymore.

She avoids her litter box if any kind of paper or plastic is handy. She’s particularly fond of the T.V. listings.

This is hard. I got her and her mother the day we buried Hal’s ashes.

She’s around seventeen or so, a blue point Himalayan. Her mom Shama was a seal point.

Shama was a beauty and a scamp. She led me a merry chase until that day when she was playing with a paper bag on the floor and she suddenly screamed an unearthly scream. She’d had a stroke and her hindquarters were paralyzed. She died later that day.

She was my favorite of the two and it was best she went first.

When the vet checked them over a couple of years previously he declared Shariyat in worse shape than her mom, that they had been over bred, their hearts and livers were enlarged and they couldn’t live longer than six months.

Shama lived on for a couple of years and Shariyat has managed ten more than that.

She has fooled me before and I’m hoping she’s going to rally and try for another nine lives. You go girl.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Awwww too sad. I sure hope she does muster the strength for one more go at it and if not Im sorry. Cute post. Have a nice day!!!!

Manda said...

Awwww!!! Dito.

Anonymous said...

(SARAH) - Ahhhh I hope everything works out for the best I know how hard it is. Steve was there when I had to put my dog down. Probably the hardest thing in my life to date.

J.P. said...

thanks for the kind words ladies.
So far Shariyat is hanging in and seems comfortable. She has dropped a pound and now weighs a tad under three pounds.
A special hi to Sarah.

Steven said...

I mirror Sarah's comments. When I was first alone after my second marriage I had a beautiful stray cat show up at my door. His name was Baju (the etheric). Then when I was suddenly on my own again, I had a constant companion; our beloved Shariyat (wisdom). She was a great comfort to me while I was in Waterloo and I feel her closeness now in Thailand. Baraka Bashad little Furball.

Steven said...

I mirror Sarah's comments. When I was first alone after my second marriage I had a beautiful stray cat show up at my door. His name was Baju (the etheric). Then when I was suddenly on my own again, I had a constant companion; our beloved Shariyat (wisdom). She was a great comfort to me while I was in Waterloo and I feel her closeness now in Thailand. Baraka Bashad little Furball.