Wednesday, August 8, 2012

One Peachy Peach


Well, hello there, you beauties. Two peaches have fought their way to adulthood almost ready for the taste test, well sheltered in their netting cocoon. 
You can see a couple of others that gave up early.

This tree deserves a horticultural medal for braving the obstacles that mother nature and I placed in the way.

I double-task as grade A  furniture and vegetation-shuffling junkie; if furniture or plants and trees don't seem to like their location then they get moved around until we're both satisfied. Okay, so they don't get a vote.

A couple of summers ago I dug the tree in near the back fence but  the ripening fruit was a magnet for passing birds and squirrels so I dug it up and hauled it over near the house where I reasoned  the birds might miss it.
Just to be sure, the netting was added and as far as I can tell, it's there for good. It clings as though it's fighting against quicksand. 

The tree was in the right location but new problems arose; first came the false spring-- a couple of weeks of heat wave and blossoms popping out early and then winter returned and froze the blossoms,

Something like five little peaches decided to go for it and two came to the finish line.
What troopers--stick with me baby and I promise never to move you again.
Can't promise about the crazy weather, though.

No comments: