Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Best Kind Of Grass


I love the kind of grass you don't have to mow.
The first thing I did when I moved into my new house was to plant three little clumps of ornamental grass.
It looks so ethereal pushing gracefully through the snow and believe me, ethereal is good when the ice is beating against the window and that's the best it will get all day.

I planted some at the side of the house to hide the air conditioner and this was the most perverse grass I've ever met; it wants to grow tall and gangly and doesn't really hide the air conditioner. What it does is get in the way of people heading for the back gate.

You know I'm in serious prep-for-winter mode when the a/c is wrapped and ready. The chipmunks take this as a sign it's time to set up housekeeping deep inside where it's cozy and wind-free.
I just have to remember to remove the nest in the spring.
and spring will come.
It always does.

No comments: