Thursday, May 24, 2007

My kind of House Guest

Some people my age (older, dishevelled but downright interesting) get all mushy when they cuddle a new grand kid; me, I get sort of mushy but you really want to turn my crank, you look me in the eye and say, "Hey J.P., anything need doing around here.?"

Already I am slavering at the sound of those words and the answer is, "Oh god,yes"

When I moved in three summers back there was little privacy between my deck and the deck next door and it was hard to pretend you couldn't see one another.

This is what the divider looked like then:



The following summer I hung some canvas curtains and hoped everyone would be distracted by the stained glass. The first high wind, and we get a lot of those, sent those windows hula-ing to a dangerous level and they were exiled indoors.



So now we are almost up to date and my son the Nomad Carpenter, answering to "Attic Boy," dropped by to figure out where he would work to save for the next trip overseas.

Unfortunately for him, he asked the question that brings music to my ears and his time was taken for the next few days. Free labor. I allowed him time for sleeping, eating and bathroom breaks.

Here is Step One of the new project, removal of the lattice:



Now comes Step Two where we make that whole sucker a tall wall, sort of Alcatraz style.



We are, done, finished,privacy at last, or as private as we will get unless the neighbors develop agoraphobia and then I'm set.



My house guest is tired, since the temperature rose to the high 30's (think Celsius people) just about the time he started.



Thank you, Attic boy.

1 comment:

Steven said...

I get bathroom breaks? Now you tell me...