Friday, April 13, 2012

Indoor Seed Planting

I planted the pepper seeds in pots today. The seeds had been gathered over the winter, still wrapped in the paper towels they had been dried in, with  big X's marked on the paper--as though that would reveal to me months later what color they are or what degree of hot.
Life is full of surprises.
 I planted several to each pot--may the strongest seed win.I couldn't find the Popsicle stick markers so I resorted to clothes pins.
When it was time to place them in a sunny window, It became abundantly clear that I had run out of counter space in the kitchen for this project and I turned to Plan B,  devised on the spot.
Years ago I had scrounged a couple of tall florists pillars from a back alley, tossed in the trash.
I cut one to a shorter height  than the other to make my plants look more interesting on them.
Today it didn't seem such a great idea because I wanted to sling a make-shift plank across them to make a seedling shelf, and it wouldn't work very well if the shelf hung down nine inches on one side.
It turns out that a gallon pant can just about takes up the slack so here is the shelf, placed in front of the window to catch any sun coming this way.

Doll gets a good view of the paint can.
This is what's left in the kitchen. Trust me, it's a lot more orderly.

Next time the temperature reaches slightly warm, the geraniums are going out into the planters and I'll have room to start more seeds..

No comments: