Thursday, February 3, 2011

Taking Winter a Day At A time



This was the view during the big storm the other day. The worst of it passed us by, and my grateful thanks to the storm gods.

I wage a continuous battle with depression during the winter months, and surprisingly, March is the worst month.
The best defence is my habit as a used- book junkie; I've collected an arsenal of favorites to get me through.

My mainstays are three authors that I cherish:

Janet Evanovich is worth her weight in doughnuts on a freezing day. Any day will do actually. I am guaranteed a few deep-from-the-boots roars of laughter.
There is a troubling side effect--those aforementioned doughnuts. Her Stephanie Plum character is a junk foodie and I'm not far behind, so my junk input increase while I'm immersed in Stephanie's adventures.

Ross Thomas is a different kettle of fish. He is the sleek marlin type. He's been dead a few years and his work endures. Witty, wry and intelligent fiction with a political background. Lovely.

Another can't- do-without is Robert B. Parker, who died last year and I felt deep pangs of loss. His Spenser novels are delightful and he slyly slips in an English lesson or two while he's at it.

At first I believed the onset of winter was a good time to hunker down to read, "War and Peace," but trust me, it's a downer.

So there you are. today I am reading number 10 in the Stephanie Plum series and spring is on the horizon--okay, still quite far away but we're gaining on it and I have a delicious pile of books yet to re-read.

Along with the odd garden catalogue.

1 comment:

MsGraysea said...

Oh, it is so hard, Pat, to keep our spirits up in late winter. reading has been helping me this year, too. I just had to comment on your book post as Robert Parker is one of my all-time faves....of course, you know he is from Boston and he writes about the places we here know so well. Once when he was on book tour, he appeared at the small-town library where my Mum worked. We were in charge of helping that day and it was so much fun meeting Mr Parker. He was just great and wryly funny. I'll always remember that I got to pour tea for Robert Parker and "shared" an afternoon with him, and quite a few other fans!
I just finished Geurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. LOVED IT.
Have never read Janet Evanovich. Where would you recommend I start??
Stay warm and may signs of Spring begin for you soon...Marcia