Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What A Difference A Baby Makes

The first thing I want to say is that there is problem with my computer and until one of my children comes to repair it there will be no pictures. As long as I'm being honest, I don't know how to do hyperlinks either.

But the following is what I really have to say.
My granddaughter (lovedoodlemuffin.blogspot.com)had her first baby a year or so ago and she recently experienced her first post-baby angst when she looked in the mirror.
What she says she saw was a toss-on-the-first-track suit that's reasonably clean woman with a ponytail wrapped in an elastic band, a hair-do that hadn't changed since she gave birth.

I recall those first-baby days days so vividly--you eat, live, breathe for that sweet little protoplasm.

I don't think Hal and I had an adult word between us for months while we discussed colic,poop, what the crying meant and whether the child was really as brilliant as we thought. And I certainly didn't take time to examine me during that stage.

Slowly, very slowly, the parameters change and baby becomes a member of the family and the parents ease back into adult humans with their own thoughts and needs.

That's where my granddaughter is today.
There is a lovely glow about a new mom that remains with her for months so she will see herself more objectively than those of us who love the glow.

Standing before her mirror, there was an explosive "EEK," as she morphed back into a grown-up person with personal needs.

This is the first of many. many 'eeks' that will come along. At first it's all on the parents' side, and then the child tacks "teen" onto his age and the power base shifts.

So I say enjoy every baby moment and those "me time" moments.

Today that sweet girl has a new hairdo and new clothes and the elastic bands will remain on the broccoli until the next baby comes along and she starts the process all over again.

That's the circle of family life.

1 comment:

Lovey Dovey said...

It has been a nice rediscovery for me. And what a load off chopping my hair. I feel ten pound lighter. :)