Monday, September 13, 2010

A Miniature Harvest

Close your eyes and imagine paintings of harvest time; muscled peasants hauling carts laden with hay, aproned women bent over rows of vegetables,with a promise of more fields to labor before winter sets in.

Now open your eyes and visit my world, where the crop is planted in four raised beds the size of a double-wide coffin. (At my age, we tend to think in realistic terms.)

It's such a rush to pluck food out of the garden and make wild promises to oneself to aacomplish even more next year. That would probably have been more realistic when I was forty, but optimism reigns.

At first I thought this squash was going to be a pumpkin; I enclosed it in a mesh bag while it grew, to divert the nocturnal garden visitors, and I would have been pleased whichever it was.
I thought the onions would be the size of soccer balls but they chose to be petite.

I also turned my attention to using every one of the large crop of Roma tomatoes. Oven dried was my solution to one batch and here is the result. I took notes so I'll have them aced next time.

My neighbors gave me three cuttings of this yellow raspberry six years ago and now I have a flourishing grove. they produce to the end of July, take a rest and produce again in September.
There is always enough for two days worth to munch with the breakfast cereal.

This is such a satisfying time and each day there is something else to be dug up and cured and stored.

Next I want to figure out a modern day version of a root cellar that will be stationed outside my kitchen door.

No comments: