Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Wins and Losses


The raised beds were a great idea. This one was intended to hold the oriental rhubarb and a smattering of spinach and lettuce. Instead, the horseradish, planted way back by the fence, crept forward and sneaked into everything this year.
The veggies surrendered and now the rhubarb is holding a shoving match with the intruder.
My kids love my horseradish sauce--it comes with fire extinguishers, so it has to stay. But how to contain it?
From what I've read, it won't be easy. Or possible.

The morning glories are charming as always; I installed a fine netting over the fence and they are winding their way up up from the end of their raised bed.

Then there's the ornamental grass. I thought it would be nice to plant it by the air conditioner so we wouldn't have to stare at the metal box. I guess I got the kind of grass that wants to shield entire houses from view.
that gate isn't mine--it belongs to the next-door neighbor.
I think I'll give the grass a haircut.

No comments: