Monday, September 18, 2006

Going, going...

The garden is slowly fading away, settling in for a long chilly sleep.

There are some last bursts of bloom, though.
The last Clematis.



And the final rose



This little beauty has a name unknown to me. I forgot to write it down when I did find out. It pops up in the spring showing leaves only, a cross between Lily of the Valley and Hosta. At the end of June it simply fades into the earth until September, when these crocus-like blooms appear. What a bonus.



I got this statue at the junk yard for five bucks. It stands guard over the fish and so far has been doing a fine job.



The Magnolia tree is still in need of therapy. I've moved it four times (don't ask) and at present am air layering a stem to make a new tree in the spring. It still produces blooms that last one day and then collapse. Quite lovely but quirky.



The spiders are hanging out on the deck and this one has a web made of rubber I think. I just skirt around him and we're both happy.

4 comments:

bozoette said...

Those flowers are beautiful! The spider -- a different sort of beautiful, I guess!

Unknown said...

I found your blog via the Empress of Dirt... and I'm glad I did, as I thoroughly enjoyed my visit. :) I can't believe that you found that statue for just $5, by the way! I dream of having such good fortune...

Unknown said...

Oops, I was so busy expressing my jealousy that I forgot to ask: could your lovely little flowers be colchiums? I'm not sure, so google it to see!

J.P. said...

Colchiums--yes!
Thanks Blackwamp. I knew it started with a "C" and just couldn't remember the rest.

I'm looking forward to seeing it in the spring.