Thursday, January 19, 2006

Lorrie's Chair

Lorrie's chair needed a new seat and I opted to re-do it as a birthday gift.

This also gave me an excuse to buy an electric staple gun.

Here's the thing about staple guns- they fire at will. Okay, maybe I have an itchy trigger finger but it was perilous work and it's a miracle that I still have working fingers.

Back to the chair.What could be so difficult? You take off the old stuff and use it as a pattern and there you go.

Well, there were four layers plus of stuff that had fused together over the years. Not only that, but whoever worked on it last had taken a thick pice of foam and shaved it, with a razor, to give it pleasing curves.

This was the moment I considered diving into a snowbank without giving the rescue dogs advance notice.

Anyway, I adapted and it turned out pretty well.

Now I have this niggling fear that someone will sit on the chair and a zillion staples will fly out.

Here are the before and afters.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

2 comments:

Lovey Dovey said...

I love the chair. And the fabric is just perfect! Where did Lorrie get the chair?

Steven said...

Great job JP. I have to admit that any chair looks good after sitting on plastic stools in Thailand for the last three months. Dee mark!